EH&E, an employee-owned company, provides businesses and institutions with innovative and cost saving solutions for their health and safety, environmental and engineering needs. Our mission is to protect people, businesses and the environment. We achieve this by offering a broad range of services from indoor air quality assessment, energy management solutions, regulatory compliance and management, infection prevention programs, independent building commissioning – and more! EH&E is a trusted partner engaged with recognized leaders in healthcare, top-notch academic and research institutions, Fortune 500 companies, large scale enterprises and government agencies.
Staff Scientist I – Life Sciences
As a representative of EH&E’s Life Sciences team, a Staff Scientist I, is an experienced environmental health and safety professional who works with our biotechnology and research laboratory clients throughout New England. Educates, trains, and provides support to operations in the development and execution of consistent safety and environmental management programs. Directs accident investigation programs, develops accident trends, and develops programs for improving Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) performance. Ensures regulatory compliance with all safety and environmental programs. Improves the quality of safety and environmental management processes following established regulations, policies, standards, and practices. The successful applicant will be supported by a team of industry experts who will nurture and develop your career. This position reports directly to the Managing Principal Consultant or Senior Scientist. We offer competitive salary packages and excellent benefits. If you are interested in this opportunity, we would be delighted to hear from you.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Sales & Client Relations:
- Responsible for maintaining the integrity of the business by presenting a positive, professional, respectful and professional image to our clients
- Identify potential opportunities to senior staff
- Project managing small EH&S projects
- Deliver services on projects that meet or exceed client expectations
- Consults with Principal Investigators and laboratory personnel on inspection findings and provide appropriate recommendations based on regulatory compliance and best practice guidance
- Participates in Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) and Laboratory Safety Committee meetings
- Conducts or oversees periodic inspections of laboratories by qualified personnel in accordance with federal, state, and local government regulations and agencies’ policies; conducts air sampling for specific materials used in the research environment
- Collect quality data as well as field data by other project staff
- Assists clients with identification of appropriate biological laboratory containment levels, and strategies for hazard assessment and control
- Assist in project/study design
- Willingness and openness to professional development
- Prepares and delivers classroom-based and online internal/external biosafety and laboratory EH&S training programs. Topics include laboratory safety and chemical hygiene, biosafety, NIH recombinant DNA, OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard, Shipping (IATA/DOT), and other customized training. Updates written materials regarding biological safety and laboratory EH&S (e.g., Biosafety Manual, Chemical Hygiene Plan, Hazard Communication, etc.).
- Conducts follow-up with laboratory personnel as needed
- Represent respectful professional image
- Interact with client’s staff to execute work
- Contribute to client satisfaction as a team member/project manager
- Ability to apply basic scientific principles to EH&E’s work while developing observational ability and functional analytical skills in discipline
- Performs risk assessments and job safety analyses for work involving chemical and biological materials
- Conducts air sampling and personal monitoring for specific materials used in the research environment; inspects and/or tests and audits the performance of safety equipment such as but not limited to emergency safety showers and eyewash stations, chemical fume hoods and spill kits; performs respiratory protection fit-testing
- Assists in shipping hazardous materials and biological materials; investigates research environment incidents; responds to chemical, biological, and after-hour emergencies
- Utilizes mobile devices to collect inspection information
Communication and reports:
- Written and verbal communication skills are essential as you will be contributing to reports
- Clearly communicate technical concepts while maintaining context and understanding the audience
- Be able to work to timelines and report any deviations to this to management
- Achieve project profitability goals
- Excellent interpersonal, written and communication skills
- Driver’s license, occasional travel required
- Project management skills
- Flexibility and adoptability to different projects/environments
- The ability to work well under pressure
- Teamworking skills
- Good analytical skills
- Ability to work independently when required
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and Access
- The ability to cope with shift work and unsocial hours, which are at times required
- Experience with standard office equipment (computers, phones, and photocopiers)
Education / Training
Bachelor of Science (BS) required or Master of Science (MS) preferred in Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, or related subject.
Industrial experience in a research laboratory, clinical laboratory, or biotech industry environment; or, at least experience working within an environmental health and safety department for a biotech or research facility required. Background working with radioactive materials or radiation safety is preferred.
Professional Certifications & Memberships Preferred
Registered Biosafety Professional; Certified Industrial Hygienist; Certified Safety Professional; HAZWOPER certification; DOT/RCRA certification; membership in the American Biological Safety Association; membership in the American Industrial Hygiene Association.
Please send résumé and salary expectations to HumanResources@eheinc.com